10.26.2006

this weekend

i attempt to emerge from under my rock...


-Place Matters conference in Seattle (exhibiting thesis work)

-Critical Practices in a Globalizing World (also in seattle) David Adjaye's on the ticket so i'm guessing its gonna be good.

frantically cramming to get in my app. for a 50K grant from the Education to Careers Department at Chicago Public Schools for a project my principal suggested...Redesigning the school library. I'm hoping to have my 'advanced' students work on this and get employed this summer doing the build out of the space.

more about my rock:
97 students (5 classes), most quite delightful, i am always stricken by the depth of some of their personal issues and wish i had more than my 40 minutes of class time per day. the beauracracy of the public system is crazy but the curriculum is exciting, and there is a lot of hope. we've got a great principal. he raised the issue of redesigning the library. this would be an awesome opportunity to involve students in a real-life project. i hope to get them paid this summer to help with the build out of the space. i also got wind of this fairchild challenge thing through the chicago botanic gardens...there is a challenge to redesign cafeteria based on LEED standards...which seems like yet another way to make design relevant to their everyday experience. my classes are underenrolled so, i've got to find as many opportunities as possible to attract students to the program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home